Learn about an important part of Florida’s history at the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum. Explore the wreckage of Spanish galleons and the remnants of cargo ships. Go back in time to the 19th century, when excavating shipwrecks off Key West was a thriving industry. You’ll learn from interactive displays, watch informative video presentations and see real artifacts salvaged from these vessels.
Stop At: Key West Shipwreck Museum, 1 Whitehead St, Florida 33040
Your shipwreck voyage begins in 1856, the year the Isaac Allerton sank. On your visit to the Key West Shipwreck Treasure Museum, view artifacts from this ship, one of the richest shipwrecks in Key West history. Spend hours exploring the remnants of old ships and learning about the fascinating salvage industry through artifacts and interactive exhibits.
Learn about how shipwrecks became a profession that made Key West one of the richest cities in America. See what it was like to work in the dangerous shipwreck scavenge industry back in the mid-19th century, as well what sorts of rewards were reaped. Sift through artifacts and watch informative video presentations as you dive deeper into this fascinating world. Watch actual underwater footage of a shipwreck. And summon all your strength to lift a silver bar salvaged from a Spanish galleon.
Learn the intriguing story of the Isaac Allerton. Many of the treasures throughout the museum were excavated from its watery grave. Find out about the people who struck it rich risking their lives to recover wealth from the sea. Then do as the ship captains once did and climb a 65-foot (20-meter) observation tower for the pinnacle of your museum experience.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Historic Tours of America - Key West, Florida 33040
Experience is offered by Historic Tours of America
Duration: 1 hour
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Museum Admission
- Gratuities (Optional)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants and small children can ride in a pram or stroller
- Service animals allowed
- Public transportation options are available nearby
- Suitable for all physical fitness levels
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Average 4.31 out of 5 stars based on 35 verified reviews from Inside Key West and TripAdvisor